'Macquarie' Sydney Bound, With Singing Shrouds And Humming Backstays
|Title||‘Macquarie’ Sydney Bound, With Singing Shrouds And Humming Backstays|
|Paper Size (W x H)||34 x 24 ins|
Macquarie was the last of the 'Black Wallers', and one of the strongest. She was a three-masted ship-rigged vessel, built as the Melbourne by R. & H. Green of Blackwall for their Blackwall line run to Australia. She was built from surplus plates from a 'Man of War' which was under construction at the same yard and launched in June 1875. She sailed on the London to Melbourne run until she was sold to Davitt and Moore in 1887. They put her on the London to Sydney run, changing her name to Macquarie in 1888. She was a very comfortable and successful ship and mainly carried passengers on the outward run.
On the return journey, the second- and third-class cabins were generally dismantled to accommodate a cargo of wool. From 1897, under the command of Captain Corner, the company used her to train their cadets. She was then sold to J.Bryde of Sandefjord, Norway, in 1904 and renamed Fortuna. From 1909, now owned by the Wallarah Coal Company, she was used as a coal hulk in Sydney Harbour. She was finally converted to a coal-carrying barge in 1949 and was broken up by T. Carr & Co., Sydney in 1953.
Each print is hand numbered and accompanied by a certificate signed by the artist. The certificate is numbered to match the print.
About the Artist
Described by Sotheby’s of London as “the best, there’s nobody else to touch him”, Steven Dews is a man at the peak of his profession.Find out more