"Hole O'Cross (In)"
|Title||“Hole O’Cross (In)”|
|Paper Size (W x H)||24 x 20 ins|
St. Andrews 13th "Hole O'Cross" is a gouttelette limited edition print which comes from a series of 19 paintings by Peter Munro. Golf is now played in almost every country but there is no doubt that the ‘Home of Golf’ is at St Andrews. A crude form of the sport was played on the site as early as the mid 1400s and organised golf from 1754, when twenty-two “Noblemen and Gentlemen” formed the Society of St Andrews Golfers, which became the Royal and Ancient Golf Club in 1834.
There are several courses on the links at St Andrews but the most famous is undoubtedly The Old Course, which hosted the British Open for the 27th time in 2005. The Old Course is notorious for its striking physical features, including its huge double greens, where the outward and inward holes both make use of the same putting surface, and its 112 bunkers, amongst them some of the most famous in golf. The thirteenth hole is a par 4 and covers 398 yards from the Medal Tee. The origins of the name it shares with the fifth, “Hole O’Cross”, are slightly unclear but may refer to a cross which once stood here. The left side of the fairway is protected by the famous Coffins bunkers.
Each print is hand numbered and accompanied by a certificate signed by the artist. The certificate is numbered to match the print.
About the Artist
Peter Munro was born in 1954 and he grew up in the Scottish Highlands, where his family ran a timber and forestry company.Find out more