'Lothair' loading tea, Hong Kong, 1873
|Title||‘Lothair’ loading tea, Hong Kong, 1873|
|Size (W x H)||127 x 80 cm|
Exclusive to Smith & Partner
The clipper ship, Lothair, after discharging her cargo of coal is now loading tea for her return passage to England. Lothair was built in 1872 by William Walker, Rotherhithe England, 56 shares owned by the builder and the remainder owned by her master Emlyn Peacock. Due to the downturn in the demand for sailing ships Lothair the builder may have had to retain shares in the vessel. She was probably the last composite ship built on the Thames.
In 1873, Killick, Martin & Co purchased Lothair. She was a very successful clipper, sailing on passages to New York, Yokohama and Hong Kong. Lothair was often charted by a well known Hong Kong company, Arnhold and Co who’s office is featured in the centre of the painting.
There is a fine model of Lothair in the Hong Kong Museum of History. The ship, after several changes of ownership, was finally lost in 1910. Closer inshore is the liner Oceanic. She was a regular visitor to Hong Kong after she had been chartered to the Occidental and Oriental Shipping Company (O&O) providing passenger service in the Pacific until she was scrapped in 1895.
Each print is hand signed by the artist and hand numbered.
About the Artist
Described by Sotheby’s of London as “the best, there’s nobody else to touch him”, Steven Dews is a man at the peak of his profession.Find out more